Today is the 10th, obviously…reason I mention it is this…in exactly 9 days My Wife will turn 23, so I have decided to do a fun little inexpensive (cuz we’re still broke…lol) present for her that will span out over these next nine days…I am calling it…the 23 reasons I love my wife project. So to kick things off today I bought her 6 chocolates from Ginger Elizabeth’s (an amazing specialty chocolate’s shop in down town sac…) with a little card that said “Reason #23 why I love Elizabeth Kelly” inside the reason was “Because you are a Ginger Elizabeth” hehehe I find myself so clever.
Just thought I’d share. 🙂
Anyway…On to the FOOD!
As I said in my last post, Carbonara is not exactly the healthiest of meals, but since I love it soooo much, I wanted to make it a wee bit healthier. In the end, it did taste a lot lighter (I’m not sure if it was in fact healthier but I felt better about eating it) and didn’t feel as heavy after we had eaten. Boy was it still delicious though, creamy and salty just the way carbonara should be!
~Pasta Carbonara Ala Sarah~
5 or 6 handfuls of Pasta (I used Farfalle…Bow Tie Pasta)
1 Slice Bacon
1/2 Cup Half and Half
1/2 Cup 2 % Milk (Not Pictured above)
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (Not Pictured Above)
2 Green Onions
1/4 Cup Dill
2 Cups Peas
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Chop the onion finely and slice the bacon into small pieces. Saute together in a large (12″ or larger) Non Stick Saute Pan, until the onions are soft and slightly brown and the bacon is browned
2. Add Peas to the onion bacon mix and saute until the peas are cooked. Cook pasta at this time as well.
3. Mix Milk, Cream, Eggs and Cheese in a small bowl along with some seasoning (Salt and Pepper) and your herbs and green onions!
4. Drain your pasta and add it to your peas and bacon mixture. make sure your pasta is REALLY HOT before moving on to the next step
5. Once your pasta is HOT, TURN OFF THE FLAME OR HEAT TO THE PAN! Then add the egg mixture
6. Stir carefully but briskly. The key here is to keep the egg mixture moving so that it cooks but you don’t end up with chunks of scrambled egg in your pasta, so keep stirring until the sauce is thick.
Viola PERFECT light Carbonara with a yummy twist!
~ Let your adventurous Chef Thrive!